New Delhi April 2nd
On Thursday ANI news agency confirmed the second COVID-19 case in Dharavi Mumbai. A 52-year old BMC sanitization worker has been found positive for the virus, Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (MBC) official said, he resides in the Worli area but was posted at Dharavi for cleaning. The first case was reported on 1st April where a 56-year-old patient tested positive of coronavirus and died later in the night at Sion Hospital. This case of COVID-19 is much more worrisome because Dharavi is the most congested part of Mumbai and one of the largest slums in the world, it even has raised concern among the health authorities in Maharashtra.
While speaking on India Today TV health minister of Maharashtra Rajesh Tope said, So far, the virus seemed to be classist but now it is being seen among the masses as well. It is a matter of concern once the virus reaches a congested place such as Dharavi. The deceased had no foreign travel history and used to run a local garments shop in Dharavi. Authorities have sealed the entire society he lived in which has over 300 flats and some 90 shops. All high-risk contacts in the area have been stamped and quarantined following the detection. Over 4000 health workers are on the job of tracing and testing all suspected cases of coronavirus, the Maharashtra government is following the policy of 3Ts tracing, testing and treatment to identify all cases in the state, said Tope.
The minister further said, 70-80% of Maharashtra’s cases have travel history while the rest from contact. We haven’t concluded how 10-20 people got the virus but we are still digging, we’ll find out how they contracted the disease.